Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ilegal Aliens (May 2006)

I’ve got to weigh in on the immigration bill that’s causing so much of a stir. First of all, I know this is a nation of immigrants, a melting pot and all that I got it. But what burns my butt is the fact that they sneak into our country, reap the benefits of earning a living, not paying taxes (don’t tell me you do, it’s impossible if you don’t have a social security number), their children take part in our educational system, and refuse to learn even enough of our language to communicate! My cousin is a corrections officer and they need to take Spanish classes to be able to communicate with the prisoners who can’t/won't speak English. Some activist in my home state of Florida said many immigrants were concerned about recent federal raids, in which hundreds of immigrants with criminal backgrounds were rounded up in Florida and throughout the Midwest. Let me see if I understand this they broke the law coming into this country, they have a criminal background and they’re concerned that they may be corralled and punished? Oh dear God what is this world coming to when criminals are punished!!!

A man called into a Dr. Shane's (morning DJ on 92.5 WPAP FM) show this morning and said that he works for a national company based in Texas and they require their managers, supervisors and foreman to learn Spanish in order to communicate with their non-English speaking employees. The gentleman refuses to take the classes. They haven’t fired him, but they won’t to promote him. Tell me what other country in this world that you can move to, get a job and function and not learn the language? Worse yet, you expect the natives to learn your native tongue to make your life easier. There is a quote by Theodore Roosevelt that ring especially true during this time; "Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country."

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not anti-immigration. My problem is not immigrants, what gets to me are the illegal aliens, and that’s what they are illegal aliens NOT illegal immigrants. Attach whatever term you like, the fact of the matter is that they are here illegally. Allow me again to quote President Theodore Roosevelt, "Obedience of the law is demanded; not asked as a favor." I fully believe that the fiber of this great country of ours is enriched by people from other countries/cultures; it’s what created the country and culture that is The United States of America, but don’t expect us to change our country to be more like the one you left. If it was so all fired great, why’d you steal away into this one? Why don’t you go back? I’ll tell you why, because like the immigrants that gave birth to this country you came here for freedom from the oppression and misery you were suffering in your homeland. Did they continue to speak only they’re language or learn the language of the land? I think it’s a fabulous idea to teach children the languages of their heritage keep it alive. Keep the culture alive, it’s their legacy, part of who they are, but when you come to this country to become an American citizen, you’re an American. To become a naturalized citizen, you have to take this oath:
I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God. In acknowledgement whereof I have hereunto affixed my signature.

This brings me to another bone of contention the National Anthem translated/sung in Spanish. Would any other country take it as a sign of patriotism to sing their national anthem in English? What if we were to change the words, and thereby the meaning of the song? Doesn’t that make it a Song based on the Star Spangled Banner? Sounds like a job for Weird Al Yankovic or Cledus T. Judd to me. The Spanish version of The Star Spangled Banner, called "Nuestro Himno" or "Our Anthem." (they even changed the name!) was released on Friday by music producer, Adam Kidron, and get this HE'S BRITISH!! Fine, he’s been a resident not citizen, but a resident of the United States for 16 years, but he’s BRITISH! We left your country a few hundred years ago wonder why? Note to Mr. Kidron this is AMERICA not ENGLAND! Re-write God Save the Queen in any language you like Spanish, German, or Klingon and leave us alone. The song is performed by, among others, Wyclef Jean, hip-hop star Pitbull and Puerto Rican singers Carlos Ponce and Olga Tanon. Who are these people? What gives them the impression that they can fiddle with OUR national anthem?

When asked about this, President Bush said, "I think the national anthem ought to be sung in English, and I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English and they ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English." Its moments like this that I am so happy I voted for him and not some warm and fuzzy, why can’t we all just get along, lets bend over backwards to make everyone happy except the larger majority of American people liberal. President Bush heavily favored a bipartisan bill that would strengthen border security, but also provide illegal aliens a path toward citizenship and a guest-worker program. But guess what stalled in the U.S. Senate.

On Ellis Island, where millions of immigrants came through, stands the Statue of Liberty, one of the symbols of freedom this country holds dear, herself surrounded by symbols of what our nation stands for; the chains of oppression around her feet are broken, the tablet in her left hand is inscribed with the signing date of the Declaration of Independence, and the torch in her right hand is a beacon lighting the way to freedom for all those seeking a better life than the one they had escaped. Craving a better future for their children and their children. Everyone is welcome! No one better captured this than Emma Lazarus who wrote the now famous words that she imagined coming from the lips and heart of Lady Liberty, " Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me; I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" The people who passed through the gates of Ellis Island gave up everything to get here. They came to this country, as huddled masses yearning to breathe free and they worked, toiled and sacrificed, learned the language and the culture and contributed to both, became Americans and wove the fabric of this great nation. Would someone please, please, explain to me, what makes these illegal immigrants better than these folks?

For those of you who want to read the bill (HR4437) itself in its entirety, you can go to
Entire HR 4437 or for a summary, go to Summary or Summary link 2

No comments:

Post a Comment