Friday, October 30, 2009

End of the year (Dec 2008)

I’m sitting at my desk thinking about the fact that 2008 is all but over and it just blows my mind. I know it’s December 16th, so it may be a little early to be talking about the end of the year, but we’re less than 2 weeks from Christmas which means the end of the year is almost here…where has it gone! Since Kayleigh was born in ’91, time has seemed to just fly by. Sometimes I wonder if it’s just me.

When you realize how fast the year has gone by, you start to wonder (at least I do) what did you do with it. Are you happier now than you were last year? Did you have more fun in 2008? If not, then what are you gonna do in 2009 to answer yes to those questions this time next year? I don’t mean New Year’s resolutions because those are forgotten by the end of January…mid-February if you’re really careful. I’m not talking about changing the whole world, just yours.

Maybe asking are you happier/did you have more fun come across as shallow, but think about it, if you’re not happy, it doesn’t matter where you go, where you live, how much money you make, or what kind of stuff you have, you’re not happy, so what’s the point. Also, not to sound like I’m about to break in to a chorus of Kum Ba Yah, but the happier you are, I can guarantee you, things will seem better, even if they’re not it’ll be easier to get through. Not only that, the people around you will be in a better frame of mind. It’s hard to stay grumpy when you got someone in front of or around you that’s laughing, smiling and sprinkling virtual Pixie Dust all over the place. Don’t believe me? Ask the people I work with, I drive them nuts sometimes.

For the record, yeah, I’m happier and I’ve had more fun. I’d hoped that I’d be ringing in the new year in my own house, but that didn’t happen. So, I’ve got to find a new job (not as easy as I’d hoped it would be), so maybe it’ll happen next year, that’s the plan anyway. Then again, we make plans and God laughs, so we’ll see how that goes. The reunion is set for next November and I’m hoping that the turnout is as big, if not bigger, than the last one. A couple of road trips are in the works with some new a friend and if past experience is any indication, it should prove to be quite memorable, and I’m hoping to make new friends along the way. Can’t have too many friends, can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment