Monday, January 18, 2010

Walkin' the walk

It seems like every time you turn around, there’s another celebrity of some description promoting another cause and asking you to give your money and time. It leaves you to wonder, or at least it does me anyway, how involved are they? How much of their time do they devote to the cause that’s so important to them? For instance, if you’re preaching to me about how crucial it fuel economy, green living and decreasing my carbon footprint is to our nation, our world and the future, why do you have a huge mansion, half a dozen cars and private jet? What’s that all about? I think the word I’m reaching for is hypocrisy.

There are celebs that practice what they preach and I think that that inspires people to action than just a celebrity being “the face” of a cause. I mean when Al Gore starts talking environment what I hear sounds like Charlie Brown’s teacher, but when Ed Begley, Jr speaks I pay attention. Now don’t start thinking I’m an eco-friendly green person, I’m not...oh well. But the point is that Ed Begley, Jr lives the eco life where as Al Gore talks about it. There’s no way his mansion or jet is green.

Another name you can add to the list is Jimmy Wayne. He’s a country singer now, but he grew up in conditions that to call them unhappy and hellish is an award winning understatement. He and his sister were moved from foster home to foster home as a child and as a teen he was homeless until an elderly couple took a chance. Knowing the problem is still there, Jimmy has started a movement called Meet Me Halfway. He decided that beginning on New Year’s Day, he was going to walk from Nashville, TN to Phoenix, AZ to bring awareness to the problem and to benefit Home Based Youth Services in Phoenix. There have been a few nights he’s had to stay in a hotel because the temps were in the single digits. Along the way he’s been sleeping in a sleeping bag in a tent. His fans, me included, have been worried about his safety on this journey, and along with the help of the online radio station Nixa Country have set aside a time each day (10 AM & 10 PM) when fans and listeners can pray together for Jimmy’s safety along the trip and for the MMH movement itself. Fans have also started the Loose Change project where you collect the loose change you find in parking lots, couch cushions, the bottom of an old purse, etc and donate it to Home Based Youth Services through their website.

I said that Jimmy was sleeping in a sleeping bag in a tent on his journey. The tent and the sleeping bag were provided by Marmot and according to one picture Jimmy posted, it was 12 degrees outside, but inside his bag it was 75! At that point we stopped worrying about him freezing in his sleep! Folks have been meeting up with Jimmy along his trip bringing him supplies, picking up his tab at a diner, stores not letting him pay for items as a way to show support and it’s heartwarming to see people helping and supporting something so important to Jimmy.

Seeing all of this brings a few things to mind; the company that donated the items for Jimmy’s trip and wondered if they’re donating to the cause as well? Don’t get me wrong, as a fan, I’m thankful they donated these items I am, but maybe they could donate the value to MMH/ Home Based Youth Services. The folks who have met up with Jimmy and brought him food, hot coco and hand warmers -- one person even left supplies in a box on the side of the road with his name on it – would they have done that if it hadn’t been country singer Jimmy Wayne? Have they ever bought an extra cup of coffee or extra burger to someone who’s homeless? Probably not. I haven’t. Are we gonna start? Because as sad as it sounds, as a culture, we’ve become used to seeing it and we either don’t see them or we choose not to. Jimmy posted this comment “Been walking all day; suns goin down; its strange 2 C people look away; then again a familiar thing from long ago!”

There maybe people who are on the streets because of choices they’ve made. Some are there because they choose not to support themselves. But the lion’s share of people are there because they lost it; lost a job, lost a home, lost family. The Mark Wills song "Don’t Laugh at Me" comes to mind

“I'm the cripple on the corner/You've passed me on the street/And I wouldn't be out here beggin'/If I had enough to eat/And don't think I don't notice/That our eyes never meet/I lost my wife and little boy when/Someone cross that yellow line/The day we laid them in the ground/Is the day I lost my mind/And right now I'm down to holdin'/This little cardboard sign.

What about the children who are out there? Jimmy’s focusing on the teens because once they “age out” of the system, what happens to them? If they’re in the system then the chances of them having family members or a support system of any kind is slim and none. I was telling someone I know who’s not a fan about what Jimmy’s doing and they said, “Goin’ a little far for some PR huh?”. I explained about Jimmy’s motivation and they said, “Well, seems like a stunt. He’s probably crashing in comfy hotels the whole time.” Let me play devil’s advocate, what if he is? This is all just a ploy to get attention for himself and his career. If he’s trying to build a good guy image this is the way to go. People are bringing him stuff, hanging out, even walking with him. The press is gonna love you, the people are gonna love you and the women are gonna go nuts! Yeah, he’ll get attention and it’ll be the positive kind that sticks with people. People tend to forget how many #1 songs you’ve had, how many awards you’ve won, but you walk across the country, by God they’ll remember that!

You know, even if this is just a PR strategy? WHO CARES! (for the record, I don’t think so) Ok, even if he is in hotels every night, cushy or otherwise, the man is walking outside during a freakish cold snap that turned most of the country into a freezer for almost 2 weeks! This is no picnic, this isn’t a Sunday stroll – according to mapquest.com, it’s 1637.91 miles from Nashville to Phoenix. He’s doing more than giving money, he’s not doing a concert, he’s not doing PSA’s; he’s actually physically committing to it. I’m not knocking people who don’t get out there and brave the elements, but there’s no way you can deny Jimmy’s level of commitment.

The idea that we can totally eliminate poverty and homelessness is a great, but I don’t think it will ever be done. Even the Bible says, “For the poor always ye have with you;...” (John 12:8) but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do something. That we should sit on our hands say how awful it is. The bottom line, whatever his motivation; be it selfish or altruistic he’s got people talking. They’re talking about what he’s doing and about the problem. The more people talk the more people are aware and maybe, just maybe, something can be done.

http://meetmehalfway.jimmywayne.com/

www.hbys.org

www.nixacountry.com

www.marmot.com

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Great post for a great man! I don't think we will ever eliminate poverty & homelessness, but I believe
    God asks us to try! =)
    God bless you my new blogger friend!
    Diana Joy
    ~www.unseenchild.com~

    ReplyDelete